8th International Youth Conference “European values for the Future of SEE countries” – 2010
The eighth International Youth Conference was design to unite young people from SEE in order to establish a platform for dialogue in relation to issues relevance to the youth from SEE and to address the importance of the role of young people in creating the future of SEE. The platform would be a way which would make it easier to communicate a two way dialogue between youth from SEE and national/local authorities. Unity among us young people allows us to positively contribute to our societies.
The conference was attended by 55 participants, active young people and leaders from SEE, regional experts and local/national authorities. The large number of introductory lectures and interactive workshops resulted in a new new Declaration for European Future of the young people from SEE.
Participants exchanged mutual thoughts, ideas and experience with the aim of establishing new mechanisms to tackle the growing challenges in interpersonal relationships overflowing with stereotypes and prejudices, national values vs. EU values, youth unemployment, crime, education and global challenges faced by societies in SEE. The atmosphere during the conference promoted and built upon positive achievements, while at the same time acknowledged and addressed the obstacles for further success.
Young people – participants felt that the conference was beneficial to them as it provided an opportunity to:
• Voice their concerns regarding the marginalization of youth in decision-making processes at local/national level in SEE.
• Discuss relevant cultural aspects of life within a multicultural society.
• Demonstrate willingness to actively participate in order to European direction of the SEE region.
• Familiarise themselves with different obstacles faced by young people through
conference workshops and personal dialouge.
• Develop a better understanding of the role that the NGO sector can play in the development
of their common interest.
• Explore options for further engagement with other likeminded stakeholders.